Friday, June 14, 2013

Jessica Burns


We asked each student/Spirit of Place participant to respond to the same questions to reflect on their experience so far...first up:  Jessica Burns

What is your favorite thing about Inishturk so far? 
My favorite thing about Inishturk so far has been the people. From day one, I was welcomed with open arms. Anne, Paddy, Danny, Gus, Joe, and Eugene, Travis, Stanley, Judy, Donna, and Kathleen have been extremely considerate and helpful. Even when I was sad that the airline lost my lost my luggage, they all reassured me that it would return safely into my possession. As for my classmates, we are different ages. Despite the grade and age difference, we have grown to be a family.

What would be one distinguishing characteric of the Irish people that you’ve met?
Everyone has a sense of humor.

Most surprising thing you’ve experienced?
I am surprised that I developed the skill of chipping stone quickly and placing it in the stone wall in a coordinated and neat manner. 

Favorite food so far? 
The fresh catch of the day, cod.

Words to evoke the five senses of Inishturk…
sight: blue, water, green grass, brown mud, chiseled rock, limestone, steel, waves, dogs, people, men, women, fire, apple pie
smell: burning wood, cod, carrot soup, wind, 
taste: carrot soup, apple pie, rain, cod, cheesecake, clementines, oranges, apples, potatoes, corn, tuna 
sound: waves, wind, crackling fire, chipping rocks
touch: rough rocks, wood floors, timber, aged leather
sixth sense? whistling winds, peace, rushing sense, power  

How will you see stones differently from now on?
Now I look at stones and visualize how I would chisel rocks to create a perfect wall. I know I am going to dream of putting together rocks in a neat manner for quite some time. 

If you had to pack all over again, what would your bring more of and less of?
I would bring more rain gear, specifically rain pants. I would bring less books. We work all day and I slept on the flight to Ireland.



Jessica Burns (foreground, blue t-shirt) and her team, the Vicious Vikings

No comments:

Post a Comment